Tuesday, November 9, 2010

First me, then Daddy, then your uncle... who next?

To Cookie,
Your uncle Gavin felt you kick last night! I knew you would be kicking if I stayed still enough, so I had a big cup of icy water and lay down on the couch to start you off. I made sure you were kicking hard enough to be kicking from the outside before I asked if he and Uncle Brent wanted to feel. He said it was a really weird feeling, like a mouse or rat ticking his fingers (he only felt a light one) - I reminded him he did that once, and I remember him kicking. But he absolutely stumped me when he asked "why do babies kick?"... My face looked a bit like this, because I had no idea whatsoever:
So that's me, Daddy, and Uncle Gav who have felt you kick now. I think we might have to try your Nan next, she'd love it. After that, your Pa, because I know how scared he's been for you (he feels so much more than he lets on, that man - keep that in mind!)
My hospital appointment next week can't come any faster. Yes, we're finally booked into a hospital where you'll be born! I know I was gunning for a home birth, or a birth centre, but they're both out of reach for different reasons. I didn't want to go back to the hospital I had Ianto - they didn't give me the care I needed at any point - so we're going to the Royal Womens Hospital. I was born in the old building, and so was Uncle Gav. I've never been in the new one, hopefully it's as great as I hear.
I've started the self-hypnosis classes that I'll be at least attempting to use during your birth. No pain killers for me, thank you very much. The human body evolved to make and birth babies without that stuff. Yes, I know I used gas - and thought I was on morphine - when I gave birth to your brother, but that was more for the emotional stuff than the actual birth. You'll be working with me to bring you "earthside" rather than me doing all the work, too. I want it to be as close to perfect as possible for both of us.



Photobucket
21w1d
Related Posts with Thumbnails